Thursday, August 30, 2012

Avoiding the Freshman 15

So this was the first week back to school and holy cow is there a LOT of freshman on campus. I couldn't help but reminisce on my freshman year. I remember how excited I was: Freedom. New faces. Food everywhere. Awesome Rec Center. With that said, I think we've all heard about the "Freshman 15". Between the new schedule and late nights in the library, snacking on the wrong things become a habit- a very bad habit. Believe me freshies, it's easy to gain but so much HARDER to get it off. Here's a couple tips so that the "Freshman 15" won't apply to you!

1. WORK IT OUT.

http://www.marshallcampusrec.com/

I know how hard it can be adjusting to a new schedule but it's so important not to forget the most important part of your day. Between eating late and the stress of school, it only makes sense to MAKE this a part of your day. Plus, this Rec center is pretty awesome. They have everything between rock climbing, swimming, yoga, spinning, etc so there's really NO reason why you shouldn't take full advantage!

2. AVOID CAFETERIA FOOD

This use to be a struggle for me but I believe I've finally mastered saying NO to the food on campus. Most of it is expensive, fattening, and.. did I say EXPENSIVE? It's almost $3.00 for a cup of grapes. Holy Cow. This leads to my next tip...

3. PACK YOUR LUNCH

Some of my friends giggle at the fact that not only do I pack my lunch, but I have a lunch box that matches my bag. (Nerd Alert!) But seriously, it's cheaper and healthier. I often hear, "I don't have time". Welllllll guess what!? Yes you do. Wake up just a tad bit earlier each morning or just pack it at night. Takes a whole bit of 5 minutes!

4. COFFEE

Coffee will be your BEST FRIEND. Never in a million years did I think I would drink it,  let alone become an ADDICT. Studies have shown that coffee does have its perks when it comes to health factors. Here's where the specialty coffees come in. The sugar. The whip cream. The chocolate. Bad news is.. well these are just BAD news all together. Good news? There are ways around it!  You can ask for sugar free and no whip and this cuts the calories in half! Anything from Starbucks with the word "Skinny" in front of it, is always a better choice. One of my favorite drinks they serve is a skinny vanilla latte. They use steamed nonfat milk and sugar free syrup. 0 grams of fat, 6 grams of protein, and ONLY 60 calories! Yeeeeeeeehaw to that!

Hope these small tips help you avoid the extra 15! Enjoy your first year of college and remember: 
WORK.... IT.... OUT!


2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! Love following you on my fitness pal too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ashley! You're always killing it on my fitness pal!

    ReplyDelete